Why I Pay Too Much in Taxes

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Tue May 7 22:42:19 PDT 1996

At 04:46 PM 5/7/96 -0400, Black Unicorn wrote:
>On Tue, 7 May 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

>> >This used to be true.  A bill passed during the Reagan administration
>> >indexed the brackets to inflation to remedy this situation.  I don't know
>> >how succesful the bill was in eliminating "bracket creep", but that was the
>> >stated purpose.
>>
>> No, it _still_ is true. One bill during one administration does not a major
>> change make.
>
>I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  I sent the text of the law to
>the list.  The position that you take (that increse in inflation can send
>you into the next tax bracket) is incorrect.

You seem to be forgetting that one of the provisions of (I believe) the 1986
tax act was that capital gains would be indexed  for inflation.  However,
the sleazy politicians only scheduled it (the indexing process) for about
1990 or so, and by 1990 they managed to get that idiot Bush to agree to drop
it.  I don't know the details, but this is yet another of the reasons I have
no qualms about advocating a system for solving the "politician problem" by
putting them 6 feet under.

Lawyers who profit from an abusive system may disagree, of course.

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com