misunderstandings of PICS

Joseph M. Reagle Jr. reagle at MIT.EDU
Tue May 7 19:27:12 PDT 1996

At 04:40 PM 5/6/96 EDT, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:

>        In other words, the CyberAngels want to eliminate any pages that
>contain material they think minors shouldn't see that aren't self-rated with
>a PICS self-rating (the first of the three types) intended to block minors
>from seeing it. Yes, this is an abuse of the market oriented variety of PICS;
>they obviously don't know and/or don't care. If you want to convince them
>otherwise, start cc:ing your messages (and forwarding mine, on this I give you
>permission) on PICS and the CyberAngels to angels at wavenet.com.

        I didn't see the cyberangel proposal, but how is this an abuse?
Regardless, it's a waste of time, browsers will have the option of "If not
PICS labled, don't return." They're better off advising people to flip that
switch if this is such a big concern.
Regards,       Men govern nothing with more difficulty than their tongues,
               and can moderate their desires more than their words. -Spinoza
Joseph  Reagle      http://farnsworth.mit.edu/~reagle/home.html
reagle at mit.edu      E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65  BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E