INFO: Transcript of crypto chat with Sen. Burns at www.crypto.com

Shabbir J. Safdar shabbir at vtw.org
Tue May 7 01:31:42 PDT 1996

------
   __     _________        __
   \ \   / /_   _\ \      / /	Voters Telecommunications Watch
    \ \ / /  | |  \ \ /\ / / 	        (vtw at vtw.org)
     \ V /   | |   \ V  V /  		 May 6, 1996
      \_/    |_|    \_/\_/   	Redistribute only until 5/28/96

      TRANSCRIPT OF ONLINE CHAT WITH SENATOR BURNS (R-MT) AVAILABLE
      AT ENCRYPTION POLICY RESOURCE CENTER (HTTP://WWW.CRYPTO.COM)

            SENATOR BURNS IS SCHEDULED TO APPEAR AT HOTWIRED:
		        MONDAY 5/13/96 9PM EST

      Please widely redistribute this document with this banner intact
			    until May 28, 1996

CONTENTS
	The Latest News
	Schedule of upcoming chats related to encryption
	About VTW and Whistlestop96

THE LATEST NEWS

Senator Burns went online tonight and discussed encryption and his
new bill, PRO-CODE, with Internet users in America Online's News Room
auditorium.  The full transcript of this session is available at
http://www.crypto.com/.  Some highlights from the fifty minute discussion:

Question   : Senator Burns, As a small business in Montana that provides
  	     web-space to local Montana businesses, I'm concerned that the
	     lack of privacy and security on the Net will keep many of my
	     potential customers from purchasing online. How will this bill
	     help?
Sen Burns  : That's exactly why I introduced this bill. Right now I don't
	     think any of us feel safe transmitting our credit card numbers
	     over the Internet, and many companies who have workers around
	     the nation or world are worried about how they can safely send
	     sensitive information back and forth between them. If we can
	     raise their level of security, we can guarantee that that
	     information will be sent without unwanted eyes looking in.

Question   : What do you think the Administration, FBI, and NSA reaction
	     to your bill will be? Have you already heard from them? (I run
	     an ISP in Missoula, Montana.)
Sen Burns  : We expect them to have some concern with this, and we will work
	     with them but we have to undertsnad that the people we are
             concerned with can already gain encryption that is already
	     longer than 40 bits on teh international market.

The transcript is the property of America Online, who retains the copyright.

SCHEDULE OF UPCOMING CHATS RELATED TO ENCRYPTION

Sen. Burns
	Hotwired: Monday May 13, 9pm EST

Sen. Leahy
	America Online: date not yet available
	Hotwired: date not yet available

You can connect to AOL over the Internet through a SLIP/PPP connection or
by dialing up one of their services.  Download the AOL client software from
URL:ftp://ftp.aol.com/ and install it.

HotWired's Club Wired is easy to reach. Go to the WWW page
URL:http://www.hotwired.com/club/ and follow the instructions.

ABOUT VTW AND WHISTLESTOP96

VTW (Voters Telecommunications Watch) is an Internet-based grass-roots
advocacy group concentrating on issues of civil liberties and
telecommunications.  Whistlestop96 is VTW's project to bring more
members of Congress and Congressional candidates to online chats to talk
about core Internet issues with net users.

We do not accept unsolicited donations at this time.  If you want to help,
register to vote at URL:http://www.vtw.org/ivoter/ .

For more information on encryption policy, please see the following
resources:
	Encryption Policy Resource Page: http://www.crypto.com/
	Internet Privacy Coalition: http://www.privacy.org/

...run by these fine organizations:
	Center for Democracy and Technology: http://www.cdt.org/
	Electronic Frontier Foundation: http://www.eff.org/
	Electronic Privacy Information Center: http://www.epic.org/
	Voters Telecommunications Watch: http://www.vtw.org/

      Copyright 1994-1996, Voters Telecommunications Watch