Is the network layer geodesic?

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Mon May 6 23:35:09 PDT 1996

At 2:24 PM  -0400 5/6/96, Scott Brickner wrote:
> The network layer isn't the geodesic Bob H likes to talk about.  That
> doesn't happen until the transport layer (one higher).  It's a
> heirarchical star, with a relatively small number of big ISPs acting as
> the hub, several groups of regional ISPs acting as local arms, and many
> local ISPs acting as the end-points.

Actually, I once lapsed and *did* say the "h" word about the network layer
around here about 6 months ago, and I got slapped severely around the head
and sholders, by Gilmore, if memory serves.

Knowing enough not to argue with my elders and betters, :-), I immediately
recanted and now assert geodecity(!) until proven otherwise.

If I remember right, Gilmore said something about a monstorous
preponderence of packet traffic still being handled by relatively beensy
direct lines...

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah at shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"If they could 'just pass a few more laws',
  we would all be criminals."    --Vinnie Moscaritolo
The e$ Home Page: http://thumper.vmeng.com/pub/rah/