Religious Wars Considered OK

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Sun May 5 14:13:40 PDT 1996

I think the "religious war" involving Java, C++, applets, security models,
Unix, and Netscape is _fine_ for this list.

A heretical view, perhaps, to applaud a religious war, but the topics are
certainly germane to this list. Some may argue that
"comp.lang.java.advocacy" or "comp.lang.flames" are better places to have
this debate, but I think not. Here on this list we have Netscape
represented, users of major tools to develop crypto applications, and many
with concerns about security.

That Victor Boyko wrote such a concise summary of his objections to Java
vis-a-vis C++, and that Wei Dai was planning to write such a summary until
he saw Victor's summary, says that debate is robust.

So long as the "religious war" does not devolve to mere invocations of
deities, we're OK. In fact, to tell the truth, call this debate a
"religious war" is probably incorrect.

Few debates are more important than this one.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!