Why I dislike Java. (was Re: "Scruffies" vs. "Neats")

Dan Busarow dan at dpcsys.com
Sun May 5 04:30:55 PDT 1996

On Sat, 4 May 1996, Victor Boyko wrote:
> I understand that the above does not apply to Win95 and Mac. There is
> only one thing I can say to those unfortunate enough to use them:
> install UNIX!!! Linux for PC has been available for a while, and Linux

Even though Victor likes C++, I share his sentiment that a lot of
people would be happier with Unix if only the marketing forces hadn't
driven them into the clutches of the Dark Lord.

Since this has already degenerated into a religious argument (actually
it started as one), I'll throw this in

FreeBSD and/or NetBSD are the way to go.  Actual facts follow.

FreeBSD is "free"
  Just like Linux, you can get FreeBSD off the 'Net for free.
  You can also buy a CDROM for < 100USD, just like Linux.

FreeBSD has solid networking code
  Since it is built on 4.4BSD its TCP/IP implementation has had more
  bashing than anything else around.  It works. It's fast.

FreeBSD has source available
  If you want the full source, or just the kernel source, grab it.
If all you need is a running system, don't bother.  Most people don't
need kernel or utility, e.g cat or ls, source.

FreeBSD has a *single* source
  This may seem to be a disadvantage to some.  But when the core team
releases a new version of FreeBSD you can be certain that it has been
widely tested and is at worst a _small_ step forward, not backwards or
sideways.  It might even be a _big_ step forward.  If they disappear,
you still have the source (assuming it was important enough for you
to grab it).

For me it boils down to the networking code.  I need it to work reliably
and fast.  FreeBSD delivers, Linux promises.

ObCrypto: pgpsendmail is a standard package with FreeBSD (and probably
Linux too :)

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow