PICS required by laws

E. ALLEN SMITH EALLENSMITH at ocelot.Rutgers.EDU
Sat May 4 00:36:12 PDT 1996

From:	IN%"sjb at universe.digex.net"  "Scott Brickner" 16-APR-1996 19:02:13.04

>The sorts of organizations that form the core of the internet, and are
>involved in this network layer censorship scheme, just *aren't* the
>sort of "subversives" (or "patriots", take your pick) that would try to
>bypass the system.

	I am not quite certain if the model of
[content provider]-[ISP]-[Phones]-[ISP]-[ISP]-[user] is going to work much
longer. That routes the material through quite a few too many bottlenecks,
among them the phone lines. I could reasonably easily sign up with two ISPs
and start myself as a router (with a good computer and the right software),
from what I know of the subject; with ecash routing of messages, this might
get quite common (and profitable).
	When you've got a few large organizations doing the routing, what
you've said is _probably_ correct. When you've got a lot of people doing it
out of their garages, then it isn't.
	-Allen