Burns Bill

Jonah Seiger jseiger at cdt.org
Fri May 3 16:54:43 PDT 1996

Bill Frantz writes:
> A quick read thru the text of the bill (via http://www.cdt.org/crypto/)
> shows none of the principle objectionable features of the Lehey bill.
> (Standards for key escrow agents, and additional criminal penalties for
> using encryption to hinder an investigation.)
>
> This bill has some obscure, to me, exceptions.  The most troubling of which
> I think means (IANAL) that export can be restricted if there is a
> reasonable expectation that the hard/software will be reexported to one of
> the countries on the extreme bad boys list.

I will point out that as things stand under U.S. law you aren't even
allowed to export toilet paper if the expectation is that the ultimate
customer is on the extreme bad boys list. Although as a libertarian I
find any such provision distasteful I cannot see that we are badly off
if the rules for exporting crypto and exporting toilet paper are
roughtly similar.

> in any case, it is not clear how passage of the bill could possibly
> make things worse.

I think that is key.

Perry

* PROTECT THE INTERNET AND THE FUTURE OF FREE SPEECH IN THE INFORMATION AGE *
      Join the legal challenge against the Communications Decency Act!
               For More Information, Visit the CIEC Web Page
                         http://www.cdt.org/ciec/
                       or email <ciec-info at cdt.org>

--
Jonah Seiger, Policy Analyst           Center for Democracy and Technology
<jseiger at cdt.org>                           1634 Eye Street NW, Suite 1100