Freedom and security

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Wed May 1 01:08:49 PDT 1996

CyberAngels Director : Colin Gabriel Hatcher writes:
>  Mike McNally wrote
>
> >What exactly do you consider "security" and "freedom" to mean here?  Whose
> >security?  Whose freedom?
>
> Every society has a social contract

Could you show me a copy? Everyone keeps telling me about this
contract, but I can't for the life of me remember signing it.

> You may demand the freedom to kill those who disagree with
> you but no community will grant you that freedom.

I see you've never heard of the Argentine armed forces.

> I am not currently aware that either your right to encrypt nor your right
> to use anon remailers is under threat, so why should I do anything?  But
> while encryption and anon remailing protect *you* from certain threats to
> your freedom, they are also being used for example to make the
> international trade in child pornography more effective and less easy to
> prosecute.

You start by talking about the social contract and how no one agrees
that you should be able to kill people, and then you move straight on
to child pornography.

I find that interesting.

Perry