Witch Hunts

Vladimir Z. Nuri vznuri at netcom.com
Sun Mar 31 23:48:53 PST 1996

Bruce Zambini <jlasser at rwd.goucher.edu>
>If Mr. Unicorn is indeed Detweiller, it is in the mold of Vlad Z. Nuri,
>who (while almost certainly Detweiller) has produced useful contributions
>on the list, while refraining from acting out.

sigh. I don't know why this periodic identity madness visits this
list. does it have something to do with phases of the moon? do you guys
do harass everyone who hasn't personally attended a cypherpunk
meeting? are the cpunks going to implement uncrackable identity cards
for authorizing posts before the congress does so for immigration
security?

as for your speculations, all I can say is that Mr. Unicorn is one of
the many people who seem to have violent prejudices against me posting
here because of some supposed similarity of my style to this notorious
Detweiller fellow. so it wouldn't make much sense to me if he was
really me, er, sorry, Detweiller. <g>

it seems to me that by now, people might have figured out that all this
silly identity speculation is a total waste of time (and tends only
to start flamewars) on a list that is
by official administration and consensus agreement, "anything goes".
ah, but some people are slow learners and need a lot of reiteration
before they begin to understand.

in this forum, there is only a message. the messenger is irrelevant.
we could all post anonymously and have precisely the same effect. in
fact, I don't think it would be all that bad of an idea.

>It is also worth noting that the original Detweiller, in a sense, played
>De Sade to Tim May's Rousseau, in that he used an unorthodox, but
>effective, critical technique.

Tim May == Rousseau??? hehehehehe. and I fail to comprehend how anyone
so universally despised as Detweiller could be considered to have
employed any "effective critical technique". maybe I should send him
some email, but alas I perceive that to be another waste of time.

the point of this message is to say, will everyone give it a rest?
who cares? why do you think it matters?