ViaCrypt PGP 4.0 for Windows shipping

Ron McCoy rmccoy at mercury.interpath.com
Thu Mar 28 17:17:48 PST 1996

> I have not seen this here yet, so sorry if you have seen it...
>
> ViaCrypt is claiming that they are now shipping the Windows version of their
> PGP 4.0.  (I tend to not believe marketing claims until I hear from people
> who actually have it.)
>
> Does anyone know if there are plans for this version to be interoperable
> with PGP 3.0?
>
> Furthermore, has anyone tried the new version?
> ---
> Alan Olsen -- alano at teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction

I've got the Viacrypt Business Edition for Windows. It arrived late last
week. I don't think the personal edition is shipping yet.

The business edition adds features for corporate key escrow and limiting
features available to users. I've just started playing with the software, but
it looks like some of the user control features are implemented using
security through obscurity. The windows implementation is ok, but does
not include DDE or OLE. The floating toolbar looks useful.

4.0 will interoperate with current versions of PGP as long as a normal
key is generated. 4.0 allows for generation of keys limited to signing or
encryption. These keys will not interoperate with current versions of PGP.

I'll know more as I use the software. If anyone has any specific
question, feel free to ask.

Ron McCoy
Rmccoy at mercury.interpath.com