ViaCrypt PGP 4.0 for Windows shipping

Mark Aldrich maldrich at grctechs.va.grci.com
Thu Mar 28 16:00:18 PST 1996

On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, Alan Olsen wrote:

> ViaCrypt is claiming that they are now shipping the Windows version of their
> PGP 4.0.  (I tend to not believe marketing claims until I hear from people
> who actually have it.)

Note that ViaCrypt is now using its own version numbers.  PGP 4.0 is
really the same crypto engine as in 2.7.1, but with some new features.

> Does anyone know if there are plans for this version to be interoperable
> with PGP 3.0?

I asked about that, but the answer was indefinite.  I'd say "no."

> Furthermore, has anyone tried the new version?

Yes.  We were one of the beta sites for it.  There are actually two new
versions of ViaCrypt PGP 4.0:  A business edition and a personal
edition.  Essentially, there's a bunch more key management features and
some new windows features.  In the business edition, you can configure it
so that keys are essentially "escrowed" in that it will always add "the
company" to the list of recipients.  Thus, your company can read your
traffic if they want to.  This was at the request of many businesses who
stated that they wanted to use PGP, but that they needed some means of
escrowing the keys.

What's really interesting is what ViaCrypt has planned for even later
releases: support for DSS (and SHA), DES, triple DES, multiple key rings,
PC Card token support, provision for large key certificate databases,
integration with X.509 structures, and a high performance single pass
mode of operation.

ViaCrypt put up some marketing stuff on their web page.  Try:
http://www.viacrypt.com/

 > ---
> Alan Olsen -- alano at teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
>         `finger -l alano at teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
>                 http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
>   "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon

|      Liberty is truly dead              |Mark Aldrich                 |
|    when the slaves are willing          |GRCI INFOSEC Engineering     |
|     to forge their own chains.          |maldrich at grci.com            |
|        STOP THE CDA NOW!                |MAldrich at dockmaster.ncsc.mil |
|The author is PGP Empowered.  Public key at:  finger maldrich at grci.com |
|    The opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the author     |
|         and my employer gets no credit for them whatsoever.           |