So, what crypto legislation (if any) is necessary? (Was List O' , shame)

Black Unicorn unicorn at schloss.li
Mon Mar 25 22:00:15 PST 1996

On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, sameer wrote:

> > No, in fact, I have not.
> >
> > What are the impediments to corporate marketing of crypto where the
> > marketing and distrubting entity is foreign?  (I honestly don't know)
>
> 	As a US entity, Community ConneXion is marketing an
> SSL-encrypting webserver based on the Apache-SSL developed by the
> Apache Group (worldwide) and Ben Laurie (in the UK).

[Legitimate logistical obsticles deleted]

> 	It's doable. It's not trivial though.

Phew.  I thought for a moment you meant legal problems.

Yes, I concede, there are significant logistical hurdles confronting the
multi-jurisdictional crypto project.  One assumes, however, that the
initial capital investment will be somewhat offset by the first in market
advantage of the position.

Further, a entirely foreign production, say for chip manufacture, would
probably make things easier.  I had specifically contemplated hardware
applications.  Indeed, there are problems with both, but they don't stem
from ITAR.

> 	ITAR does help, in that if Ben decides to commercialize his
> product, we have a very convenient line which stops us from competing
> with each other. He can't sell inside the US because of RSA patents. I
> can't sell outside the US because of ITAR. ;-)
> >
> > Granted, worldwide *personal* use of crypto availability is
> > > trivial, but not corporate.
> >
> > Sufficently entrench personal use of crypto, and the personal/corporate
> > use distinction ceases to exist.
>
> 	Not if some applications don't apply to personal use.

Are you talking specific licensing provisions, or implementation.  I
don't follow.  (Though I'm fairly sure I'm missing something obvious).

> --
> Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-601-9777x3
> Community ConneXion, Inc.			FAX:     510-601-9734
> The Internet Privacy Provider			Dialin:  510-658-6376
> http://www.c2.org/ (or login as "guest")		sameer at c2.org

---
My prefered and soon to be permanent e-mail address: unicorn at schloss.li
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information