RISKS: Princeton discovers another Netscape security flaw

Simon Spero ses at tipper.oit.unc.edu
Mon Mar 25 16:42:44 PST 1996

On 25 Mar 1996 Paul_Koning/US/3Com%3COM at smtp1.isd.3com.com wrote:

> The job of doing something like what Java claims to do correctly
> is basically equivalent to the job of creating an A2 grade operating
> system.

I'm not totally convinced that creating an A* implementation of the java
VM is impossible; the vm instructions are simple enough to define the
necessary abstract interpretations over, and denotational semantics
of,with a reasonable degree of confidence.

I'd definitely rather right a trusted application in java than in C

Simon
---
They say in  online country             So which side are you on boys
There is no middle way                  Which side are you on
You'll either be a Usenet man           Which side are you on boys
Or a thug for the CDA                   Which side are you on?
  National Union of Computer Operatives; Hackers, local 37   APL-CPIO