protection on IoMega ZIP drives

pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Mar 24 19:48:01 PST 1996

Death rays from Mars made alano at teleport.com (Alan Olsen) write:

>At 05:08 AM 3/23/96 +0000, Deranged Mutant wrote:
>>On 23 Mar 96 at 3:00, Ed Carp wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone tried SFS?  It should work on the zip drive, though I've not
>>> tried it (yet)...
>>
>>If I recall some recent threads on alt.security.pgp (or sci.crypt?),
>>SFS doesn't work on ZIP drives (since ZIPs use the parallel port...).
>>
>>[Or do ZIPs use Scuzzies and the people who had problems were just
>>too lame to figure out that they had to load the driver before SFS?]
>
>There are two versions of the Zip drive.  One is SCSI and one is Parallel
>faking scsi.
>
>The big problem is with the zip drivers.  There is some sort of
>incompatibility between SFS and the zip drivers.  (I hacked on it for a
>couple of hours with no luck.)

The Zip drives have a firmware bug in that they don't do anything if the
(appropriately-named) FUA bit is set in SCSI requests, and then return a
command complete status.  SFS 1.20 has a workaround for this problem.  It
works with both SCSI and parallel-port versions.  Before anyone asks
when it's due out, its the end of February, probably about the 60th of the
month.

Peter.