POINTCAST - Could it be a Trojan Horse?

Mark Aldrich maldrich at grctechs.va.grci.com
Thu Mar 21 08:10:50 PST 1996

On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Bill Stewart wrote:

<snip>

> >     There is a new web site http://www.pointcast.com which provides a
> >     program file pcninstl.exe. You download pcninstl.exe and run the
> >     program on your PC from Windows 95 or Windows 3.1
> >
> >     PCN is a program that interfaces to the Internet using port 80 and
> >     provides you customizable up-to-the minute downloads of news
> >     headlines, stocks, customizable sports, customizable weather,
> >     customizable financial, Internet access (HTTP only with this release)
> >     and personal (horoscopes and lotteries).

IBM is also running such a service.  It's called InfoMarket and it does
the same thing.  You load the trojan, uh.., I mean "client," onto your
box, and then it listens to the channels for you and puts up on the
screen the tasty bits that you want.  Of course, on a DOS box, it can
also put all sorts of other stuff onto your computer.

And, of course, after the "trial period" you'll be charged to dine at
their info-trough.

( InfoMarket bullshit is at http://www.infomkt.ibm.com/ )

> >     Well, Maybe it is too good to be true.  This program becomes a proxy
> >     operator for you. Downloading, through your firewall, whatever it
> >     decides should be downloaded, data, new executables, etc.  What is to
> >     prevent a hacker (or cracker if you like that term better) from
> >     offering a similar product which captures you PC keystrokes and scans
> >     your hard drive and uploads information, accesses your LAN or PC
> >     functions, or destroys PC files and data.

Thanks for the suggestions.  We'll add them to the list....

|      Liberty is truly dead              |Mark Aldrich                 |
|    when the slaves are willing          |GRCI INFOSEC Engineering     |
|     to forge their own chains.          |maldrich at grci.com            |
|        STOP THE CDA NOW!                |MAldrich at dockmaster.ncsc.mil |
|The author is PGP Empowered.  Public key at:  finger maldrich at grci.com |
|    The opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the author     |
|         and my employer gets no credit for them whatsoever.           |