IPG cracked with known plaintext

Mike McNally m5 at tivoli.com
Wed Mar 20 13:56:26 PST 1996

John Pettitt wrote:
> >a[0] to a[63] are initialized to random 8-bit values.  (The
> >description is unclear and almost makes it sound like they are
> >initialized to a random 8-bit value anded with 0x3500, which would of
> >course be zero.  The attack below will assume that this bizarre step
> >is not done, but will still apply even if it is.)
> >

> I think they mean ADD not AND but it's still an odd thing to do IMHO.

Well, in the description it clearly says AND in two separate places, and
the surrounding verbage makes it seem like he really meant AND.

Mike M Nally * Tiv^H^H^H IBM * Austin TX    * pain is inevitable
       m5 at tivoli.com * m101 at io.com          *
      <URL:http://www.io.com/~m101>         * suffering is optional