LACC: PC Phones Home?

Jim McCoy mccoy at communities.com
Wed Mar 13 21:49:16 PST 1996

Dennis Hilliard writes:

>"Software to the rescue:
>If somoeone steals your PC, you may be able to get it back because of
>software that acts as a kind of tracking device. Home Office Computing
>magazine reports that the software CompuTrace TRS will automatically dial
>the office of its creator, Absolute Software, if a thief hooks up a stolen
>PC's modem to a phone line. The software reveals the location of the PC and
>Absolute Software will call the police" - Providence Journal-Bulletin -
>March 12, 1996.
>
>Any Comments?

A few questions:

1- How does the PC know where it is?
2- How does the PC know it has been stolen?

Since this is a software product I am assuming that the answer to #1
is the use of CallerID on the line when the software calls, which is
defeated by the use of line blocking by the thief.  The obvious answer
to #2 seems to me to have the system call the CompuTrace office at
odd intervals to see if it has been reported stolen yet...

Obvious solution for potential thieves: wipe the disks and reinstall
an OS once you steal a PC.  This should be done anyway to remove any
bits of data which might identify the original owner.

Conclusion:  Yet another useless piece of software riding the
computer security bandwagon.

jim