Beat Remote Monitor Snooping?

JonWienke at aol.com JonWienke at aol.com
Wed Mar 13 01:35:04 PST 1996

I know that monitors emit RF signals that can be detected and decoded for a
considerable distance.  I have a question about this.  Obviously, the
difference between black and white (white text on black background, or vice
versa) would be the most detectable, because the difference in signal levels
would be the greatest.  Would it be possible to reduce or prevent this kind
of snooping by using color schemes that all use the same signal levels?  For
example, the color purple uses the red and blue color guns, and yellow uses
the red and green color guns.  Would purple text on a yellow background be
able to be read by a remote snooper?  If not, then perhaps these color
schemes could be used to echo pass phrases--assuming the user isn't worried
about someone looking over their shoulder.  Any comments?

Jonathan Wienke