all.net

Thaddeus J. Beier thad at hammerhead.com
Tue Mar 12 23:43:21 PST 1996

This is the message that I got when I mistakenly typed
"telnet all.net"

[previously quoted message not repeated...]

P.S.  At this time, there is what appears to be a criminal conspiracy
underway to excersize our detection system.  Criminal because it is an
attempt to attack a Federal Interest Computer - conspiracy because some
of the participants have, after the fact, decided to participate in the
criminal activity by refusing to identify the source of the attack.
This is a result of a posting to a mailing list by someone who was
apparently upset at having their activities detected.  A recent threat
to break into this site was posted, and we have contacted federal
authorities.  As this incident quantitatively increases, the level of
our work to check out each part of the incident (by administrators such
as yourself) may reach a total of $5,000.  At that point, the FBI will
be called in and participants in this activity may find that they are
under federal investigation.

Please advise your users to cease and desist and advise them to advise
others to do so as well.  It would also help us to limit the damage and
establish culpability (and innocence) if you could get copies of the
posting sent to your users so we can track down the source of the threat
and determine what response, if any, is appropriate regarding your users
who may be innocent victims of (and accidental conduits for) this
attack.

        March 1996 - FC
-- Thaddeus Beier                     thad at hammerhead.com
   Technology Development                   408) 286-3376
   Hammerhead Productions        http://www.got.net/~thad