Leahy and Mrs. Bemmis (now that's a subject line)

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Tue Mar 12 09:25:58 PST 1996

At 11:24 AM 3/11/96 -0500, A. Padgett Peterson P.E. Information Security wrote:

>The Leahy bill is flawed in two areas. Sent a message with proposed wording
>to Sen. Leahy via his web page but have not gotten a response. Have a bad
>habit of reading laws without thought since this is how LEA and prosecutors
>are told to enforce them - as written, not as believed. If an area is
>vague, a court is required to decide how to interpret it, not LEA. If badly
>written *everyone* loses.

Unfortunately, this is not the way CREATIVE prosecutors enforce laws.
_THEY_ try to be imaginative, "pushing the envelope" as it were, and expect
the courts to stop them.  Sadly, those same courts often have ex-prosecutors
as judges, people who aren't particularly inclined to dissuade the abuse of
laws.  (exceptions exist, obviously.)

>At the same time am pragmatic enough to accept the idea that it will have
>no effect unless it passes and to be passed today it must have something
>like the criminalization statement.

I've occasionally seen statements like this, but the people who make these
claims never seem to back them up with reasoned commentary, let alone facts,
which would help to establish that this particular section is a "must" to any
particular supporter, certainly not a substantial number of supporters of
this bill.  Even a quote or two from some political-type saying, "We need
that section to pass this bill" would be better than nothing.

I'm not suggesting this is totally implausible; merely that it would be
lunacy to _assume_ that the bill "needs" this clause to pass, without more
evidence or even opinion expressed by key people.  It's almost as if you
people have surrendered before the "fight" even has begun.  _NOW_ do you
understand why I'm so astonished at your reaction to this bill?

Tim May would object to my use of the word, "Sheeple" here, but I think it
fits absolutely.  Anybody who would allow himself to be spoon-fed this
_entire_, unrepaired bill _IS_ a "sheeple."  Anyone who invents some
requirement that this bad section be in place is WORSE.

Furthermore, if any people (for example, Senators and Representatives)
actually are willing to publicly stand up and insist on that section, then
I'd say that's a cue for us to ask them some very hard questions.  You seem
to be unwilling to put them to their proof.  I recommend that you stop
living DOWN to your reputation, Padgett.

> The goal here should not be to throw
>it out since that would simply cause the whole bill to fail,

Again, you do NOTHING to support this claim.  How do you KNOW this to be
true?  And even with that knowledge, presuming you have it, why are you
apparently not planning to use it to our best advantage?  Why not try to
"smoke out" some of the people who have conspired to include this section
into the law?  I'll bet they're hoping nobody questions them on their
motivations!

Moreover, does this comment indicate that you've had conversations or seen
information that indicates that the presence of this part of the bill is
necessary to its passage?  And you're not TELLING US the details of that
conversation or information?  Suggesting that you're happy to sell the rest
of us out?   Hmmmmmm?  Or are you just jumping to a conclusion?  Padgett,
the more you say the more you destroy your credibility.

> but to word
>it carefully enough that it satisfies those who reguire laws

Huh?!?  Who "require[s] laws"?????????   _I_ certainly don't "require" this
section to be there, and so far I haven't seen anyone on CP who _personally_
would insist on the presence of this section to condition his support the
entire bill.  Quite the opposite; most people express varying degrees of
reservations about it.

> while being narrow enough to avoid exploitation. IMNSHO the best way to do
that is to
>require that:
>1) A felony occured (curiously misdemeanors were ommitted)
>   and
>2) That the individual to be charged was an active participant (before,
>        during, or after the fact)

The problem is, what is your definition of the words, "active participant"?
And will YOUR definition actually be the one included in the law?

I, on the other hand, see no reason to add crimes, since the implication
above is that the person involved is ALREADY prosecutable in court.  Why all
this "piling on"?

On the contrary, I believe it is absolutely certain that this clause will be
used to prosecute people who are not otherwise prosecutable or convictable
of any other crime.  It's curious that you don't see that.

>   and
>3) That encryption was used in furtherance.
>
>Note: that in the US (1) and (2) seem sufficient for a criminal charge to be
>brought, so does (3) really add anything except words or possibly severity ?

I sure wish you were better at answering your own questions...

>Seizure seems to be a great concern of the group with the point of the
>Bemmis Pontiac being brought up. For someone providing a free remailer,
>that is a valid concern since the first question a court might ask is
>"what was the motivation". I suspect that someone providing a remailer
>and charging a reasonable fee to all who might want to use the service
>might be in a much better position (not a lawyer so not allowed to know).

Playing into their hands yet again, I see!  Raising the price is merely a
diluted form of banning, BTW.  So far, people implement remailers because
running them is a comparatively minor cost, and they feel that there is a
need for those services.  If there was some sort of de-facto rule that the
operator had to charge for those services, this would complicate the use of
anonymous remailers even more, deter their use even further, and achieve the
government's ends just about as surely as a downright ban would do.

In fact, accepting a fee might actually INCREASE the liability of the
operator, not reduce it, because the remailer operator would have a
financial stake in the use of his remailer.  He could no longer argue that
he did not "benefit" from the abuse (use) of that remailer.

>One indicator might be easy to check: Has there ever been a seizure
>involving a rental car (Hertz, Avis, etc.) and if so, what was the
>disposition ?

Well, given the fact that these auto-rental companies do billions of dollars
of business each year and are known and "loved" by one and all, you could
not use the (supposed) fact that no such incident occurred as some sort of
positive sign.   Any prosecutor is well aware that he may need a rental car
some day, and angering a multi-billion dollar company is not something you
do lightly.

OTOH, if you discover that EVEN THESE organizations are liable for the
transgressions of their renters, either civilly or criminally, that should
give you fair warning that anyone smaller (especially an individual running
a remailer) and less able to defend himself is certainly going to be a
target eventually.

Even a failed attempt to get a car rental company to be liable for something
done by a renter is a sign that prosecutor was inclined to go after a big
target, suggesting he wouldn't think twice before he tried to haul an
individual into court.  Do you think a person would operate a remailer if he
thought it was likely he'd get prosecuted and have to pay thousands of
dollars in legal bills, even if he were eventually acquitted?  Remember, his
legal bills won't be reimbursed by the government, though I believe they
should be.

Too bad you can't see this, huh?

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com