What about PGP? (was Re: Leahy Bill a Move to Slow Crypto Exports as Much as Possible)

Mutant Rob wlkngowl at unix.asb.com
Mon Mar 11 03:32:55 PST 1996

Timothy C. May wrote:
> I think this is showing that one of the intended purposes of the Leahy bill
> is to slow down exports of crypto for as long as possible, and then only to
> grant export licenses when competition from abroad threatens to undo the
> effects of the stalling process anyway.

Hmmm.

But what about the case of PGP? It's a relatively strong product, and
an international version exists.  I'd guess that PGP 3.0 may implement
other algorithms (PK and symmetric), and likely an international PGP3
would follow... so how could the Commerce Dept rationalize not giving
an export license to ViaCrypt?

And would a similar, but non-compatible, utility that used RSA and/or
IDEA, 3DES, etc. also be exportable? ...

[Problem is that like most legislation the legalise gets confusing to
non-lawyers, and maybe even lawyers not expert in that field...]

--Rob