Infosecurity News blurb on Notes

Weld Pond weld at l0pht.com
Sun Mar 10 10:55:49 PST 1996

>From the March/April 1996 issue.

Lotus accepts escrow

In a compromise to obtain export permission, Lotus Development Copr. has
agreed to escrow 24 bits of the 64-bit encryption keys used in the new
release of Lotus Notes.  The U.S. government allows export of unescrowed
40-bit key strings.

Under the Lotus plan, U.S. agents will be able to access the escrowed
portion of the key but would still have to decrypt the rest to obtain a
clear-text message.  Althought the NSA has not said it can decrypt
40-bit DES encryption, many postuylate that it can.

[end excerpt]

Postulate??? And I thought Notes used RC4?  Pretty bad for a security
journal.

      Weld Pond   -  weld at l0pht.com   -   http://www.l0pht.com/~weld
      L  0  p  h  t    H  e  a  v  y    I  n  d  u  s  t  r  i  e  s
      Technical archives for the people  -  Bio/Electro/Crypto/Radio