Encrypted Communications Privacy Act of 1996 (fwd)

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 10 00:21:25 PST 1996

>>   S 1587 IS
>>   104th CONGRESS
>>   2d Session
>>   To affirm the rights of Americans to use and sell encryption
>>   products, to establish privacy standards for voluntary escrowed
>>   encryption systems, and for other purposes.
>>                    IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES
>>                               March 5, 1996
>>   Mr. LEAHY (for himself, Mr. BURNS, Mr. DOLE, Mr. PRESSLER, and Mrs.
MURRAY)
                                        ^^^^^^^^
Interesting that Bob Dole is supporting it!
It's certainly not a perfect bill, and will presumably be less perfect
by the time it's passed.  But it's a nice alternative to Clinton, who
was happy to buy in to the previous Administration's anti-crypto efforts.

(I'll presumably be voting for Harry Browne or some other Libertarian,
unless I get fed up and vote for Frank Zappa or Hugh Romney; the Democrats
can look me up some year if they decide to run a genuine liberal :-)
#--
#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts at ix.netcom.com, +1-415-442-2215 pager 408-787-1281
# "At year's end, however, new government limits on Internet access threatened
# to halt the growth of Internet use.  [...] Government control of news media
# generally continues to depend on self-censorship to regulate political and
# social content, but the authorities also consistently penalize those who
# exceed the permissable."  - US government statement on China...