anonymous web pages (Was: SurfWatch)

Roger Williams roger at coelacanth.com
Sat Mar 9 21:22:24 PST 1996

  > Has anyone ever considered setting up anonymous web sites on top
  > of usenet?  People could post pages anonymously to usenet, and the
  > web sites could grab them and put them up automatically.

I see two problems right off the top:

1. Given the number of images, sound files, and movies that the most
   popular web pages will invariably have, the load incurred by
   propagating the associated files all over the net would be
   tremendous;

2. If CDA begins to be seriously enforced, Usenet will suffer as much
   as the Web: as soon as ISPs have reason to believe that such and
   such a newsgroup is carrying unlawful material, they'll have to
   stop spooling those groups.  The material will move into off-topic
   groups, ISPs will get tipped off, and they'll have to shut those
   off too.  I can imagine a whole army of busybodies scanning the
   comp.* hierarchy for pictures of tits...

--
Roger Williams            PGP key available from PGP public keyservers
Coelacanth Engineering        consulting & turnkey product development