U.S. State Dept criticizes Chinese net-censorship

Declan B. McCullagh declan+ at CMU.EDU
Fri Mar 8 21:09:40 PST 1996

Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 8-Mar-96 Re: U.S. State Dept
critici.. by JFA T. QC, Canada at citene
> There is no such thing as "self-censorship".  Either you stick to
> your values, and then it is *not* censorship, or then you do not,
> and then, it is neither.

Self-censorship does happen, and it's a growing problem in the arts
community. (I'm not a commercial artist, so this is my understanding
from other panelists and speakers at a conference I spoke at last month.)

Making art more palatable or less "extreme" to curry favor with
corporate patrons, or to get that NEA grant, or to get that faculty
position is self-censorship, and it does happen.

-Declan