Steganography idea: CU-SeeMe

Anonymous anon-remailer at utopia.hacktic.nl
Fri Mar 8 12:29:27 PST 1996

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Nelson Minar wrote:

[Re: data steams to put steno in]
> So here's one idea I've had as a place to hide a channel: network
> video, in particular CU-SeeMe video streams. CU-SeeMe is a lowtech

That's an excellent idea.

The only problem with using CU-SeeMe is that, due to the nature of the
data being transferred, it is more important to keep up to date than to
not lose data.  I believe it uses UDP to do this.  There would have to be
some protection mechanism in the stego patches to tolerate high amounts
of data loss - the obvious solution would be to loop the data, but that
is easily detectable, and is not a guarantee that the data arrived
safely.  Setting up a connection outside of Cu-SeeMe attracts attention,
especially if there was a correlation between what occurred on that
connection and what occurred in the LOBs of the Cu-SeeMe connection.

-- Abraham d'Anonymous
   (No relation to Alice)