FCC and Internet telephones

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Fri Mar 8 08:53:50 PST 1996

At 03:13 PM 3/7/96 -0500, Thomas J. Sawyer wrote:

>It seems that once again, big business is trying to get in the way of
>progress and competition because they are afriad they are going to lose
>some money.  It seems to me that the ACTA is upset because someone found a
>way to "do it cheaper" and the telco's stand to lose a lot of long distance
>dollars.  So rather then using this technology and perhaps lowering LD
>rates, instead they seek to block out the technology from the public.

Actually they *are* using the technology -- digital networking.  They are
just keeping the markup.  It costs less that 2 cents a minute to produce a
New York to London call but AT&T charges me more than 50 cents a minute.
That sort of markup can't last.  They need more copetition.  Iphone is just
part of the disintermediation.

DCF