TET cryptosystem

B. Schneier bs208 at newton.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 7 10:27:21 PST 1996

This is a temporary e-mail address; I am in Cambridge until 12 March.
Continue to send mail to schneier at counterpane.com; it forwards by itself.

> Teledyne (TET) is out marketing a "new" crypto system as a
> competitor against DES and what TET calls "linear" cryptosystems.
> They are claiming a non-linear approach in which (as best I can
> tell) they are permuting the s-boxes and using 4 bit/16 entry
> substitution tables.
>
> They are also asserting that these "key generated substitution
> tables and inter-round permutations" are supported by "nonlinear
> orthomorphic mappings generated from arbitrary key" (and that this
> is patented) and "row-complete Latin Squares generated from an
> arbitrary key" (and that this is also patented).
>
> The claimed benefits include being invulnerable to differential and
> "linear" cryptanalysis, no linear key/data interaction to hide,
> that this results in the tables and permutations being
> "transient/secret," and that fewer rounds are needed (fewer than
> what, I don't know) to attain "resistance to cryptanalysis."

This explanation is so laced with nonsensical buzzwords that the algorithm
is probably absolute nonsense.  I can't tell you (because of NDAs) how
many times I've seen proprietary algorithms that make all sorts of
grandeose claims of security and are actually terrible.

Bruce
* Bruce Schneier
* Counterpane Systems         For a good prime, call 391581 * 2^216193 - 1
* schneier at counterpane.com