Steganography idea: CU-SeeMe

Ben Holiday ncognito at gate.net
Thu Mar 7 09:37:23 PST 1996

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Anonymous wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Nelson Minar wrote:
>
> [Re: data steams to put steno in]
> > So here's one idea I've had as a place to hide a channel: network
> > video, in particular CU-SeeMe video streams. CU-SeeMe is a lowtech
>
> That's an excellent idea.

[lots of snippage]

Another problem is that in order to get a decent frame-rate CU-SeeMe does
some image editing of its own: selectively sending only the portions of
an image that have changed (I.e. the portion of the image that is a
person who is moving is sent, The bookshelves in the background are not.)
This could probably be easily gotten around however.

This seems like a decent idea, however, once the initial obstacles have
been overcome.. one typical problem with steg is the small number of bits
that can be hidden.. i beleive a ratio of 1k per 100k is typical. Far too
small to be useful for most people. Over the course of an hour long
CU-SeeMe session however you could easily move enough data back and forth
to provide adequate cover for a reasonablly long bit of cyphertext.

As long as we're on the subject of stego, has anyone
discussed/implemented subliminal streams in raw TCP packets? Seems
possible to do at least on a point to point basis. If you could stash
your data in the tcp packet itself, it wouldnt matter much what was
actually being sent across the link. Some possibilities: a telnet client
with a stegometer that would count the number of hidden bits remaining to
be sent.. chat clients similarly equiped, etc. Then you could start up
any client you choose and send data across it until you had gotten enough
bits to complete transmission of your stego'd file.. just a thought.. ;)

Benji..