Jump Start ecash With IPhone

Clarissa Wong clarissa_wong at alpha.c2.org
Thu Mar 7 02:37:58 PST 1996

> ... With net-phone projects like Free World Dialup ...

My thanks to "Declan B. McCullagh" <declan+ at CMU.EDU> for his timely
and informative reply.  I am somewhat embarrassed to see the
inadequacy of my homework but appreciate the lesson.  A web search
on "Free World Dialup" yielded several tasty URLs, including:
    http://www.pulver.com/fwd/
and:
    http://www.bekkoame.or.jp/~brandon/fwd/servinfo.html
These people possess both a subtlety of purpose and an organizational
capability that exceed my initial ham-handed efforts, yet their
cognizance of the value of ecash is uncertain.

> FCC PETITIONED TO STOP MISUSE OF THE INTERNET!

It's not surprising that the ACTA coalition chose to solicit their armed
friends to protect them from superior technology.  But events are unfolding
faster than I anticipated.

Jim McCoy <mccoy at communities.com> pointed out that:

> 1- Chaum did not have the clue to pick up on this when two
>    cypherpunks (who shall remain nameless...) pitched this
>    and several other ideas to involve ISPs in jump-starting ...

I don't know about Chaum but perhaps now one can work around the ISPs,
making the game accessible to anyone with a spare computer and some spunk.
Sometimes for as little as $20. / month one can buy unlimited 28.8 PPP
access.  With the proper voice modem, two phone lines, and some software,
perhaps Joe's Homebrew International Phone Service can go into business.

  CW