EFF Statement on Leahy/Burns/Murray Crypto Bill

Greg Kucharo sophi at best.com
Tue Mar 5 20:56:52 PST 1996

I'm a little confused by this phrase from the bill. It seems to be
saying just that export needs to be authorized if the software is
already exportable from the U.S. and if to a financial institution.
 I know that can't be right, but what is the translation of this
legalese?

> "Requires that export be authorized for non-military encryption
>  software to any country where similar software is exportable from
>  the U.S. to foreign financial institutions."

"When they came for the Fourth Amendment I didn't say anything
because I had nothing to hide.
  When they came for the Second Amendment I didn't say anything
because I wasn't a gun owner.
  When they came for the Fifth and Sixth Amendments I didn't say
anything because I had
  committed no crimes. When they came for the First Amendment I
couldn't say anything."