No Subject

owner-cypherpunks at toad.com owner-cypherpunks at toad.com
Fri Mar 1 14:01:34 PST 1996

At 1:17 PM 2/29/96, Housley, Russ wrote:
>Jim, in what way does the end user distinguish between the MOSS-like
>integration and the S/MIME-and-MSP-like integration?  It seems to me that a
>good user agent implementation provides the same services to the user.

Russ, since you weren't present at the workshop I'll repeat the very first
words I said in the presentation I gave there.

Functionally, from a user's perspective, there is for all practical
purposes no difference between any of these technologies.  Today I would
add that we could pick one out of hat and just move on.

However, there are differences in the technologies.  Some are easier to
implement, some are more flexible, some perform better, and the list goes
on.  We need to explore those differences to develop a criteria for
evaluating the technologies so we can provide the best possible solution to
the user community.  I proposed one possible criteria in my presentation,
by no means the only one and by no means complete.

Jim

James M. Galvin                                               galvin at eit.com
VeriFone/EIT, PO Box 220, Glenwood, MD 21738                 +1 410.795.6882