rsync and md4

Andrew Tridgell tridge at arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Sun Jun 30 00:01:44 PDT 1996

> MD4 is the fastest hash I am aware of.  However, there has been some
> successful attacks against two rounds of MD4.  Although this is not to
> suggest that MD4 is insecure, MD5 almost as fast (~1.3 times slower) and
> more secure.

I thought md5 was slower than that, but I'm only going by my
(addmitedly poor) memory of some comments in the tripwire docs. I'll
give it a go sometime.

One annoying think about the md4 implementation that I have is that on
little endian machines it byte reverses the words in the buffer its
hashing so I need to make a copy of the buffer each time. Is there a
version of md4 that doesn't do this?

Cheers, Andrew