Cookies anyone?

Mike Duvos mpd at netcom.com
Sat Jun 29 23:51:33 PDT 1996

A Nym Writes:

> While rummaging around in my cookie jar, I found this message--
> along with some cookies.
>
> :Netscape HTTP Cookie File
> :# http://www.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html
> :# This is a generated file!  Do not edit.
>
> Rather than bring down my system by experimenting, I thought I'd ask the list, "What happens if I delete this file?" and "What happens if I
> delete (edit) the cookies?"
>
> This may have been discussed before, but until now I never checked for
> cookies.
>
> Thanks for your consideration of this matter.

HTTP servers are permitted to store up to 4k bytes of information of their
choice on your machine, which is returned to them upon request the next
time you access their system.

This allows the servers to maintain a client state which persists
across separate accesses.

Nothing will happen if you delete the file, other than that servers
will not remember information they stored on the client side during
your previous visits.  If you edit the file, which is binary, you may
possibly mess it up and choke the software that uses it.

There are some minor privacy implications for "Cookies", but they
have been discussed on the list before.

     mpd at netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $