rsync and md4

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Sat Jun 29 02:42:19 PDT 1996

At 01:50 PM 6/29/96 +1000, Andrew Tridgell wrote:
>Why md4? I chose md4 because it seemed to be the fastest of the
>reputedly strong, publicly available checksum algorithms.

Whatever you do, PLEASE stop using the term "checksum" when what you really
mean is CRC, hash or something else.  A "checksum" is a bad error checker,
only somewhat better than none at all.  If you use the term "checksum" some
neophyte might actually misinterpret what you're doing and implement a real,
honest-to-goodness checksum in his next program.

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com