TWP on CIA Info Gears

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Wed Jun 26 14:08:01 PDT 1996

   The latter part of this article elaborates the NYT report
   today.

   The Washington Post, June 26, 1996, p. A19.

   CIA Gears Up to Thwart 'Information Attacks'

      Deutch Lists Computer Break-Ins, Terrorism as
      High-Priority Potential Threats to National Security

   By R. Jeffrey Smith

   CIA director John M. Deutch warned yesterday that the
   country is likely to experience some a very large and
   uncomfortable" disruptions of vital computer systems at the
   hands of foreign terrorists or hostile nations in coming
   years, but pledged a major new U.S. effort to detect and
   combat the threat of computer break-ins.

   "We have evidence that a number of countries around the
   world are developing the doctrine, strategies, and tools to
   conduct information attacks" on military-related computers,
   Deutch told a hearing of the Senate Permanent Subcommittee
   on Investigations, while declining to name these nations.

   Deutch added that he is convinced that foreigners are
   becoming increasingly aware "that advanced societies,
   especially the United States, are increasingly dependent on
   open and potentially vulnerable" computers to control
   electric power, airplane traffic, telecommunications and
   financial operations -- posing an attractive target for
   virtually "any nation or foreign terrorist organization."
   Emphasizing that the Clinton administration has just begun
   to grasp the dangers involved and begin working on the
   problem, Deutch said "we are not well-organized as a
   government to address these issues" and cautioned that
   making vital computers much less vulnerable to attack may
   take decades.

   "The electron is the ultimate precision-guided weapon,"
   Deutch said, but "it is not [a problem about] which it's
   absolutely apparent ... the best way to proceed."

   Deutch said he nonetheless had already drawn up plans to
   create an office at the National Security Agency to be
   called the Information Warfare Technology Center, which
   will focus on analyzing the risks that foreign hackers pose
   to U.S. computers and help create new methods of
   investigating and defending the U.S. against electronic
   break-ins.

   Deutch also said that he supports creating a "real-time
   response center" for any major domestic or foreign attacks
   against civilian computers under the supervision of the
   Justice Department, as well as a separate, Defense
   Department center for responding to attacks on
   military-related computers.

   Deutch disclosed that the intelligence community conducted
   an extensive survey last year of the risks of an attack on
   computers controlling U.S. telephones, the electric power
   grid, oil refineries and other utilities. He said the
   results are classified, but added that a new, broader
   estimate of the threat is to be completed by December.

   He also said the intelligence community has begun to hunt
   more diligently for evidence of any foreign intent to
   attack U.S. computers, any sign of foreign sponsorship for
   U.S.-based computer hacking activities, and for any
   indication that foreign organized crime figures are
   becoming involved in attacks on computers at U.S. financial
   institutions.

   The Defense Intelligence Agency, moreover, is trying to
   develop a way to predict a major "information warfare
   attack" against the United States, Deutch said.

   One obstacle is that banks and other private institutions
   have been reluctant to divulge any evidence of computer
   intrusions for fear that it will leak and erode the
   confidence of their customers. Deutch said "the situation
   is improving" but that more cooperation was needed from
   major corporations, and said the CIA remains willing to
   share information with such firms about the risks they
   might face.

   Although he declined to cite any specific examples of
   computer warfare, Deutch said he would list it as the
   second most worrisome threat to U.S. national security --
   just below the threat posed by foreign chemical, nuclear,
   and biological arms.

   In answer to a question from Senator Sam Nunn (D Ga.) about
   whether the government was aware of the danger, Deutch
   said, "I don't know whether we will face an electronic
   Pearl Harbor, but we will have, I'm sure, some very
   unpleasant circumstances in this area or our allies
   will.... I'm certainly prepared to predict some very, very
   large and uncomfortable incidents in this area."

   [End]

   Final notice:  Wash Post on the Web at:

        http://www.washingtonpost.com