domain name zapping threat by Internic

Christopher Liljenstolpe chris.liljenstolpe at SSDS.com
Tue Jun 25 15:02:37 PDT 1996

Greetings,

	Actually, it has been InterNIC policy (for better or worse) to
do this since they talked about charging.  The fee structure is:

1) New registrations cost $100 for two years
2) Renewals cost $50 for one year

Anyone could put in a record for a dead domain in their nameserver, if
they wanted to, the InterNIC can't tell you what you can and can't do
(nor will they), however:
1) It would only benefit you and the people who use your nameserver
for their resolver
2) If the InterNIC re-issued that name to another entity, you would
not be able to access that entity
3) You would be breaking the hierarchical nature of the DNS space

The InterNIC feeds all of the root name servers for the 5 common (US)
TLD's.

There has been a large amount of talk about alternative root name
spaces.

My guess is that you will never see a free one however, as equipment
has to be bought and maintained, staff hired (I don't want my root
name space managed by someone who is only available on weekends or
evenings - I don't know about anybody else), space provided, net links
funded, etc.  This is what the InterNIC is supposedly spending the
money on (as well as trying to limit the explosion of TLD registries).

	-=Chris

On Mon, 24 Jun 96 14:05:57 -0700, the sage "Vladimir Z. Nuri"
<vznuri at netcom.com> scribed:

--
   ( (   | (               Chris Liljenstolpe <Chris.Liljenstolpe at ssds.com>
    ) ) (|  ), inc.        SSDS, Inc; 8400 Normandale Lake Blvd.; Suite 993