Noise: Re: Those Evil Republicans

Paul S. Penrod furballs at netcom.com
Tue Jun 25 04:40:57 PDT 1996

On Mon, 24 Jun 1996, Hallam-Baker wrote:

> Duncan Frissell wrote:
>
> > "They believe that the Government is the problem and that what everyone
> > needs is to be told, 'You're on your own; go out there into the tender
> > mercies of the global economy; have a great time in cyberspace, and we'll
> > get out of your way.'" -- William Jefferson Blythe Clinton in a speech to
> > the AFSCME in Chicago on Friday.
>
> > I guess he doesn't want us to have fun in cyberspace -- though he didn't say
> > so directly.
>
> If you had heard the whole speech rather than only the portion reported on CNN
> you would know that you have entirely distored the meaning. The point being
> made was that cyberspace is being promoted as a panacea for all ills, many of
> which it is creating rather than curing. Cyberspace is not a replacement for an
> ecconomic policy, Newts idea of giving laptops to homeless people is not a
> solution for poverty. Actually I think that this is quite obvious from the
> quote you give.

Right, and I bet Clinton really believes what someone wrote for him to
wax political on. :->

If Clinton really thinks that Cyberspace is the Second Coming, then
explain to me CLIPPER's 1,2 and 3, Janet Reno, Dorothy Denning, the CDA,
etc.

Exercising dominion over this medium for the excuse of protecting us from
the bad guys is yet another lame excuse for tossing out what little
freedoms we have allowed to be legislated away. The mere fact, that
cryptography is considered a hinderance to "protecting the citizenry" by
this administration is tantamount to declaring war on personal privacy.

When his legislative efforts actually fall in line with believable
rhetoric, then maybe I'll pay more attention. Up to date, he has
demonstrated his true character, or lack thereof, between what he says
and what he and his Clintonistas do.

> Given the experience of derregulating Savings and Loans institutions I don't
> think the country could survive another round of deregulation. As Reagan said
> "Gentlemen we've hit the jackpot" - and of course they had, S&L was not a
> fiasco for certain people, just for the poor taxpayers.

This presumes that Cyberspace is regulated to begin with. I have yet to
see anyone apply a litmus test that equally covers all jurisdictions and
geopolitical climes. Last time I looked, Cyberspace was more "west of the
Pecos" than any other communications medium that is generally available -
which IMO is one of the last places that the first amendment actually
still applies.

As for surviving deregulation, I would be more worried about the coming
stock market crash and the devaluation of the worthless currency we carry
in our pockets. Industry comes and goes with changes in technology, and
the legal system continues on in the never ending effort to block
progress and prop up self-serving ends.

10 years from now, many of the "regulated" industries we hold dear may
not even exist in recognizable form.

> > In the same speech in which he talked about people hunting ducks with rifles.
>
> Damned unsporting eh? Isn't the NRA weapon of choice a surface to air missile?
>

> 		Phill

...Paul

"By the way, a new world record was set today in the 200 meter
dash...Hillary heard a knock at the door and thought there was a
Subpoena waiting..."

		Jay Leno, 6-24-96