Tales from the UK: Part III

winn at Infowar.Com winn at Infowar.Com
Sun Jun 23 12:16:56 PDT 1996

Attacks on the Financial Sector: Reprise

I've spent the last two weeks in Europe, five countries, an avarage of 2.6
countries per day. Two kids and a wife along for a 'family vacation' which I
have concluded is a modern day oxymoron. I'm thankfully back on the road to DC
and Atlanta, sans kids, in a few days for a well earned rest.  :-) (Love you
honey, really do, but I do need a break . . . .)

But what you care about is the attacks that the Sunday Times has been talking
about for the last couple of weeks. I've received incredible volumes of email on
this story asking for more details - mostly very supportive - so here goes

I met with the Times in London's Trocadero (while the kids played Virtual Games
upstairs in an incredible arcade). I also spoke with them at length while at the
top of Le Tour Eiffel, at Euro-Disney (Space Mountain violently pivots you end
over end in complete darkness: a definite PG-13 ride), on the Chunnel Train and
at Legoland.

First, the errors in their reporting that annoy me:

	1. As a co-sponsor of InfoWarCon, I can assure you that the Brussels
event had *nothing* to do with the alleged attacks as the June 2 article
implies.

	2. There were absolutely *no* secret meetings at InfoWarCon about the
alleged attacks,

	3. Laithe Gambit is not a secret study group about the distresses of the
financial community. It is a NATO SHAPE security group and most of it is quite
open.

Despite the protestations of the Net community, masses of media folks and my own
criticisms of their writings, the Sunday Times is sticking by their stories with
dedicated vehemence. In some ways they seem confused and chagrined that their
reporting is suspect. They really do believe what they are saying. I argued that
they gave no names of their sources and they responded that it wasn't  necessary
since they used the word 'spokesman' in several places. We have to remain
disagreed on that point. If it's a rumor, then say it's a rumor. If it's a well
placed source who wants anonymity, say so. If it's a spokesman, name him in
writing.

As a result, the U.S. media has been calling Kroll Associates and the NSA and
the British DTI and so on and getting rebuffed at every turn with firm denials
of having ever had conversations of the nature claimed in the Times' articles.
According to the media with whom I've spoken, this is a giant red flag.
Curiously, though, according to the Times, when they call back the very sources
used for the articles in the first place, they too are being met with cold
shoulders and 180 degree attitude shifts. Curiouser and curiouser.

The Times swears by the validity of the story, and is putting on additional
pressure to those people who they claim are in-the-know and will come out with
the real details which could be further corroberated. I will be receiving,
hopefully this weekend, (not here yet) an updated article that is being
published in the UK on this story. From what I've heard about it so far, it will
include some comments from Russian Admiral Pirumov (ret) and others on the
record.

In the next couple days: Someone in Basel corroberates the tale.

Peace
Winn

		        Winn Schwartau - Interpact, Inc.
		        Information Warfare and InfoSec