Sen. Specter and Kerry move to delay crypto legislation

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Fri Jun 21 18:10:34 PDT 1996

At 06:51 AM 6/21/96 -0700, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>Two things:
>1. The letter was copied to Mark Heilbrun, and a phone number is helpfully
>provided below.
>2. D'Amato was copied to encourage him to claim jurisdiction over part of
>this legislation, yank it into the banking committee, and delay, delay,
>delay.
>
>-Declan
>declan at well.com

>                          United States Senate
>                     Select Committee on Intelligence
>
>                             June 7, 1996
>                                                   SSCI #96-2219B
>
> The Honorable Patrick J. Leahy
> United States Senator
> Senate Russell Building, Room 433
> Washington, D.C. 20510-4502
>
> Dear Pat:
[rest of letter to Leahy deleted]

Since "everybody" is supposed to agree that the Leahy encryption bill is
dead, dead, dead, I don't see this as being any kind of problem.  It was
disliked by Clinton and the Denning-types, and with the exception of a short
flurry of mistaken optimism around here, it was roundly excoriated here as
well.

The one thing I found disgustingly amusing was the statement from the letter:

>     Also, both the Congress and the
> Administration have undertaken to conduct a thorough analysis of a two-year
> congressionally-mandated study on federal encryption policy that was
> facilitated by the National Research Council.  We therefore feel that your
> legislation initiative at this time is premature.

They seem to have to do an "analysis" of a two-year study.  Harrummmph!

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com