Federal Key Registration Agency

Michael Froomkin froomkin at law.miami.edu
Thu Jun 20 23:57:40 PDT 1996

I have seen the text of the speech.  The wire service accounts wildly,
wildly exaggerate.  This is a non-story...except for AG Reno's assertion
that it would take the government a year to break one DES message with a
"supercomputer".  She presumably believes this.  We know the number for
known plaintext attacks, but assuming you don't have a known plaintext,
what's a more reasonable assumption?

[This message may have been dictated with Dragon Dictate 2.01.
Please be alert for unintentional word substitutions.]

A. Michael Froomkin        | +1 (305) 284-4285; +1 (305) 284-6506 (fax)
Associate Professor of Law |
U. Miami School of Law     | froomkin at law.miami.edu
P.O. Box 248087            | http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin
Coral Gables, FL 33124 USA | It's hot here.  And humid.