Current status of RSA patent...

Deranged Mutant WlkngOwl at unix.asb.com
Thu Jun 20 03:16:42 PDT 1996

On 19 Jun 96 at 13:25, Paul S. Penrod wrote:

> PGP 2.6.2i is not US codebase, and RSA is not patented outside the US
> according to Bruce Schneiner. Therefore, if a product was deployed into

Note that Bruce's expertise is in cryptography, not patent law.

> the US using a non-US codebase, it is unclear to me what legal
> jurisdiction (if any) RSA may have in these circumstances.

It's a violation of RSA's patent wherever RSA is patented (in the US
only, I believe).  Doesn't matter who wrote the code, or where.

Oh yeah: PGP 2.6ui or 2.6.3i is based on US versions.  I believe they
still use some of PRZ's code.

And don't forget that IDEA is patented by Ascom Tech AG.

Rob.

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl at unix.asb.com (root at magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl at unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.