Federal key registration agency

Lucky Green shamrock at netcom.com
Wed Jun 19 21:55:03 PDT 1996

At 16:27 6/18/96, TM Peters wrote:

>Speaking to the Commonwealth Club of California in San Francisco, Reno said
>her plan would require people to register with the new agency the secret
>codes -- or "keys" -- they use to encrypt messages online.

The cat is out of the bag. Janet Reno is calling for mandatory Government
Access to Keys. Not that her statement would surprise anyone on this list.
Still, I believe the administration has never before publicly stated that
people will be _required_ to deposit their encryption keys with the
government. I wonder what the penalties for failure to comply with this
requirement will be.

[I have requested a transcript of Reno's speech from the Commonwealth Club.
I will make the relevant parts available as soon as I get it].

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock at netcom.com>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.
   Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.