"Mail Exploders"

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Tue Jun 18 05:55:40 PDT 1996

At 7:23 PM 6/17/96, Lucky Green wrote:
>At 9:45 6/17/96, Duncan Frissell wrote:
>>At 08:43 AM 6/17/96 -0400, Declan B. McCullagh wrote:
>>
>>>I believe we used the term "email exploder" instead of "mailing list,"
>>>particularly in cross-examination and closing arguments, to convey the
>>>idea that such a device is often used for conversation, not just one-way
>>>communication.
>>
>>Was this term invented during the hearings or has anyone heard of it before?
>
>I have heard of it before. I believe "mail exploder" is a rather old term.

I haven't heard the term in many a year, but it fits with the "Internet =
explosives instructions" slant in popular opinion.

"Those nerds are getting their revenge by developing "mail exploders" and
spreading mayhem across the Net."

I wonder where they got their technical information?

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!