Does information want to be free?

Joseph M. Reagle Jr. reagle at mit.edu
Sun Jun 16 21:07:06 PDT 1996

At 10:41 PM 6/14/96 -0400, Declan B. McCullagh wrote:
>I confess I was amused by how he described
>those Internet anarchists who delighted in publicizing books that should
>in fact be restricted.

        I am amused (though I am not taking sides) by the general lack of
attention or rhetoric that "crypto-anarchists"/"crypherpunks"/whatever,
otherwise privacy respecting people, usually espouse.

        If someone found out all the medical information of cypherpunks list
members and distributed about the Net, how would people feel? (This is a
rhetorical question, and I am familiar and agree with some of the arguments
regarding public interest, public figures, copyright isn't a privacy
protecting mechanism, yada yada yada. Just something to think about, what if
large corporations, public interest groups, lobbeys, or governments can use
this as a precedent against "us".)
Regards,            Democracy is where you can say what you think
                    even if you don't think. -?
Joseph  Reagle      http://rpcp.mit.edu/~reagle/home.html
reagle at mit.edu      E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65  BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E