PBS show

Simon Spero ses at tipper.oit.unc.edu
Fri Jun 14 04:07:59 PDT 1996

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> Given the low cost of the Apple unit, it's a marvel they could do it at
> all. The "IWM" was the key. Just plain good design. And "only 90 KB" is
> also misleading in implying Apple was behind the times. The IBM PC launched
> 3 years later had a built-in cassette port and only offered 180K diskette
> drives (later upgraded to 360K).

Also had more than enough computing power to break knapsack. It's not
what you've got, it's how you use it.

Interesting gedankenexperiment... how much difference would it have made
to ULTRA and it's predecessors if bletchley park had rediscovered
and been able to manfacture semi-reliably primitive transistors?

Simon

---
Cause maybe  (maybe)		      | In my mind I'm going to Carolina
you're gonna be the one that saves me | - back in Chapel Hill May 16th.
And after all			      | Email address remains unchanged
You're my firewall -    	      | ........First in Usenet.........