HACKERPUNKS-OWNER ANSWERS YOUR QUESTIONS

Wed Jun 12 23:58:54 PDT 1996

As we expected - our Announcement-posting generated
a number of lame Followups. Our Answers follow:

in LACC-Diggest Bill Unruh <unruh at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

>Actually if I were a "haker" I would be far more worried that this is actually
>a FBI/CIA/NSA/... run site. It sure would be a convenient way to pick off
>whole loads of self styled hackers and tie them in to ongoing investigations.
>"nobody can find out who hides behind alpha.c2.org accounts"
>or who hides behind alpha.c2.org

HACKERPUNKS-OWNER ANSWERS: Actually if you were a "haker",
you should be worried REGARDLESS of who runs this List:
FBI/CIA/Stasi agents can trivially create an alias like
FBI at alpha.c2.org and SUBSCRIBE to this List. They would
know all Information that is available to the List-owner,
except the subscriber-list. But, the subscriber-list is
useless because of Anonymity.

Even if alpha.c2.org were an FBI run Site, its Users
must use Anonymous-remailers to access it. That
preserves their Privasy.

in Newsgroups David Sternlight wrote:

>Remind anyone of the police department that anonymously announced a
>resisters' seminar on how to make bombs so they could find out who to
>watch?

HACKERPUNKS-OWNER ANSWERS: how can they find out who
to watch if subscribers are Anonymous??

SINCLAIR  DOUGLAS N wrote in cypherpunks:
>I don't have a C2 account, and don't really want to pay for one.
>I trust someone will put the hackerpunks archives on the web so
>the rest of us can read them.

HACKERPUNKS-OWNER ANSWERS: alpha.c2.org Accounts are FREE.

Ecafe Mixmaster Remailer wrote in cypherpunks:
>There was a minor error in my earlier post. If someone were to notice a
>node on the internet receiving a bag with L(In)=L(Posted) *before* any
>other nodes on the internet, then one could guess that node had a user who
>was the owner of Hackerpunks.

HACKERPUNKS-OWNER ANSWERS: There is a minor Error in
your current Post.  L(In) <> L(Posted) because of prepended
Headers. For Protection, hackerpunks List receives some
Junk-mail, automatically trashed, to create Noise.

HACKERPUNKS-OWNER _A_D_V_I_S_E_S_ Sameer Parekh and
GhiO to add Code to their Alpha-remailer to insert
Random-Size Header 'X-Random-Noise:' before Encryption
of Messages sent to Users of alpha.c2.org Accounts.
Other Remailers are advised to change the Size of
these Header Lines.

HACKERPUNKS List-bot adds a Random-size Kookie to every
outgoing Message to preserve Privacy of Subscribers.