Court Blocks CDA

Lauren Amy Gelman gelmanl at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Wed Jun 12 15:26:01 PDT 1996

>From CNN web site:

U.S. court blocks Internet indecency law

June 12, 1996
Web posted at: 8:56 a.m. EDT

PHILADELPHIA (Reuter) - A special U.S. court panel on Wednesday
issued a preliminary injuction blocking as unconstitutional a new law
prohibiting the distribution of indecent material that would be
accessible
to children over the Internet and other computer networks.

"As the most participatory form of mass speech yet developed, the
Internet deserves the highest protection from government intrusion," the
three-judge panel said in its decision released Wednesday.

The case involves the Communications Decency Act signed into law by
President Clinton on Feb.
8.

The law punishes the distribution to minors of obscene or indecent
material over the Internet or
commerical online services with fines and up to two years in prison.

The American Civil Liberties Union filed the suit against the Justice
Department the same day the
measure became law. The suit was combined with a separate action
undertaken by major online
services and software giant Microsoft Corp.

Opponents say the bill is unconstitutional, unenforceable and would
drastically curtail what they
said is the highly democratic nature of speech in "cyberspace." But the
U.S. government said the
law was essential to shield children who have easy access to a growing
amount of pornography
online.

Lauren Amy Gelman				gelmanl at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
George Washington University			gelman at epic.org